Sunday, March 1, 2009

My Favourite Passage (Melissa Chay, A202)

(Chapter 26)

MRS. Gardiner's caution to Elizabeth was punctually and kindly given on the first favourable opportunity of speaking to her alone; after honestly telling her what she thought, she thus went on:``You are too sensible a girl, Lizzy, to fall in love merely because you are warned against it; and, therefore, I am not afraid of speaking openly. Seriously, I would have you be on your guard. Do not involve yourself, or endeavour to involve him in an affection which the want of fortune would make so very imprudent. I have nothing to say against him; he is a most interesting young man; and if he had the fortune he ought to have, I should think you could not do better. But as it is -- you must not let your fancy run away with you. You have sense, and we all expect you to use it. Your father would depend on your resolution and good conduct, I am sure. You must not disappoint your father.''

``My dear aunt, this is being serious indeed.''

``Yes, and I hope to engage you to be serious likewise.''``Well, then, you need not be under any alarm. I will take care of myself, and of Mr. Wickham too. He shall not be in love with me, if I can prevent it.''``Elizabeth, you are not serious now.''``I beg your pardon. I will try again. At present I am not in love with Mr. Wickham; no, I certainly am not. But he is, beyond all comparison, the most agreeable man I ever saw -- and if he becomes really attached to me -- I believe it will be better that he should not. I see the imprudence of it. -- Oh! that abominable Mr. Darcy! -- My father's opinion of me does me the greatest honor; and I should be miserable to forfeit it. My father, however, is partial to Mr. Wickham. In short, my dear aunt, I should be very sorry to be the means of making any of you unhappy; but since we see every day that where there is affection, young people are seldom withheld by immediate want of fortune from entering into engagements with each other, how can I promise to be wiser than so many of my fellow creatures if I am tempted, or how am I even to know that it would be wisdom to resist? All that I can promise you, therefore, is not to be in a hurry. I will not be in a hurry to believe myself his first object. When I am in company with him, I will not be wishing. In short, I will do my best.''
___________________________________________

The following extract is the first private conversation between Elizabeth and Mrs. Gardiner and sees Elizabeth being cautioned by her aunt against falling for Wickham. She then goes on to cite the lack of fortune on either side as making the hope of a match between the two of them impractical and irresponsible. From this conversation between the two ladies, readers not only gain valuable insight on Elizabeth’s thoughts on Wickham, we also realize that even Elizabeth, a seemingly intelligent and astute being, is not an infallible judge of human characters.

This passage serves as an insight to Elizabeth’s thoughts on Wickham as she confides in her aunt, as well as to provide readers with another dimension to Elizabeth’s character.

Since the start of the novel, Elizabeth has been portrayed as a sharp and astute observer of characters, as she managed to see beyond the Bingley sisters’ face and knew how superficial and narrow-minded they really were. However, Elizabeth’s assessment of Wickham as “beyond all comparison, the most agreeable man [she] ever saw” shows readers that she is not perfect nor is her judgment infallible. Also, right up to before this point in the novel, Elizabeth as also been painted as a strong and decisive character, who is very rational about matters. Yet, she seems to falter when it comes to her thoughts and feelings for Wickham. From the first few lines in her speech, we see a clash between her thoughts and feelings, as she jumps back and forth between her real feelings for Wickham and rational thoughts of the impossibility of such a situation.

Although she claims “at present [she is] not in love with Mr. Wickham], her next few words of “no, [she] certainly [is] not” comes across as if she is trying to convince herself that she is not, rather than stating it as a fact that she isn’t. This continues into the next line as she considers Wickham “beyond all comparison, the most agreeable man [she] ever saw”, she hastily adds that “it will be better that he should not” as if she is trying to stand firm against falling for Wickham. However, her true feelings are revealed once more when she exclaims against “that abominable Mr. Darcy” and readers know for certain that had Mr. Darcy given Wickham his due share of fortune, Elizabeth would have certainly married Wickham in an instant would not be stuck in this predicament now. Elizabeth’s resolves falter considerably when she tries to reason with her aunt (albeit poorly) that “since [they] everyday that where is affection…engagements with each other”, “how can [she] promise to be wiser than…wisdom to resist?” By giving such excuses and comparing herself with her “fellow creatures” (because we know that she is “special”, readers are left slightly disappointed in Elizabeth’s lack of resolve and “change” in her character. However, it can also be said that Elizabeth’s lack of resolve with regards to matters concerning her heart highlights the fact that she is also human and fallible at times and hence, making her more relatable to as a character.

The exchange between Elizabeth and her aunt also serves as irony about Wickham’s character and prepares readers for what is to come. Although Mrs. Gardiner observed that “[Elizabeth] could have done no better”, “if he had the fortune he ought to have”, readers find this statement as terribly ironic and could not have been any further from the truth as it was actually Mr. Darcy who was Elizabeth’s perfect match. Likewise, Elizabeth claimed Wickham as “beyond all comparison, the most agreeable man [she] ever saw” which was ironic as readers later find out that Wickham was only extremely agreeable as he was trying to manipulating Elizabeth into detesting Mr. Darcy by framing him.

Austen’s portrayal of Elizabeth and Wickham’s character in this chapter serves as a subtle reminder of the complexities of human nature, that no matter how seemingly perfect one may appear to be at first, one will soon learn no human is without shortcomings or infallibility. Austen’s ability to capture the very essence of human nature without over dramatizing or downplaying it, is essentially what makes this extract, my favorite passage.

No comments: